Monday, January 21, 2013


this stone first born bright,
living to polish and grind...
the purpose of sand.

What does it mean to change your life? I'm starting this blog to share and get some perspective on some of the issues in my life. And the Haiku is the kireji or "cutting word" that I am going to use as a way to ground my meanderings.

To me, haiku was always that strange, almost stunted poetry that we learned at some point in middle school where our English teacher was attempting to broaden our horizons. It took me a long time and wikipedia to bring me to write and learn more. I mean I remembered the 5/7/5 syllables of the freestyle haiku with its natural theme, but how is that relevant to me?

Now, I am attempting to learn more. Attempting to change like the stone from my poem above.
Yes, I was brought into this world unblemished and bright.
Yes, I have felt the polish of things that I have learned and the grind of regret.
The question I have is, is my "sand" at this point good enough to serve my life and that of those in it?

And if not, what does it take to change so that it is. Come join my journey with me.

Virgil

No comments:

Post a Comment