Thursday, February 7, 2013

blend the fear with hope
too sharp a knife springing life...
the pruned tree thrives

This last line has been working its' way through my thoughts today, that only a life with the discipline or disappointments of reality will "thrive."

If I am to be a contributing valuable part of the relationships in my life or of my community at large, then my ego and wants would need to be "pruned" and tempered by the hard knocks that I have been trying to avoid.  

Lately, I seem to run into many spiritual readings discussing such disciplines:
We cannot merely pray to You, O God,
     to end war;
For we know that You have made the
     world in a way
That man must find his own path to
     peace
Within himself and with his neighbor.
     --Rabbi Jack Riemer


The question I then have to ask myself; where am I uncomfortable in my life, what am I trying to avoid, and what is my plan to finally be successful in addressing those "uncomfortable" feelings?

I'm going to have to think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment